Definition:

1. flippin' sweet

utterly awesome, cool, outstanding. Can be used to urge a conversation on. Originated from the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Beware of Falling Knives...

Phew. It's been a busy week or two, full of end of season swim parties, trips to the State Fair and the waterpark, back to school open houses and other such fun. I'm several posts behind on this blog, so please stay tuned for updates on what we've been up to.

Since we don't have enough going on, Madison thought she'd add a little excitement yesterday with HER first ever trip to the emergency room. I guess she thought she'd better catch up with her little brother or something. She had a run in with a knife while helping clean up the kitchen last night. Despite much counseling and education on knife safety, I guess some sort of instinct kicked in when she dropped a knife, and instead of jumping back and letting it fall, she tried to catch it. I think that it caught her instead.

I was up in the master bathroom unclogging a drain and heard her scream and then come running yelling "I cut my hand open REALLY bad!!" My heart dropped, and as I rushed out, she was running into my bedroom, blood everywhere. I ushered her into the hall bathroom, and got it wrapped up as tight as I could in a towel, sent her to the car and ran outside. Thankfully my neighbors had just gotten home, and I asked them to go pick up Caden, who needed to be picked up from daycare.

I called Brent, who was still about 45 minutes from home, and told him to hurry home to get Caden, and to have the neighbors check to see if I'd left the water running up in the bathroom. (I didn't, but thought for sure I had).

We were at the ER for 3 hours, and Madison now has 6 stitches on her left hand/index finger. It was quite deep, and they were worried that she'd cut into the tendon, but luckily that was not the case. She did SUCH a great job, all things considered. She was VERY scared to get the stitches, and I had to work very hard to keep her calm, but she didn't scream though she did shake and cry a lot. Poor girl. (Dad, it wasn't NEARLY as bad as the great splinter episode of 2006.)

We just picked up a digital piano for her yesterday, as she's starting piano lessons in a few weeks and one of the FIRST things out of her mouth after it happened was if she's still be able to play the piano, she was very worried.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After we left the hospital, we stopped at Target to pick up some wound care supplies, some blood cleanup supplies, and I told Madison that she could pick out a carton of ice cream as well. I jokingly told her that if she wanted some ice cream, all she had to do was ask!

Speaking of Ice Cream, I found something very disturbing in the ice cream isle. I remember reading a story a month or so ago that manufacturers were reducing the quantity of a lot of their products to cope with increased production costs. You know, you get 26 diapers instead of 32, but the price stays the same. Hrumph. Well, Caden's out of diapers, so I was fine with that, but they did it to my ICE CREAM! I call foul.

Almost all of the cartons were these smaller cartons, which are 1/4 of a quart smaller than the old size. Darn them.

Photobucket

After our ice cream treat, I sent everyone to bed (it was nearly 10:30), and went to work on the carpeting, which was riddled with 100+ blood droplets that adorned our staircase, hallway, and the entrance to our master bedroom. That's ok, it needed a good scrubbing anyhow.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I know - I can't BELIEVE they've done that to ice cream! Some are 1.75 quarts which is bad enough, but some are only 1.5 quarts!

I hope Madison is healing well. It sounds like a painful and scary episode!

Midwest Miscellany said...

Ouch, that is a serious scar! I hope it heals well and quickly.