Definition:

1. flippin' sweet

utterly awesome, cool, outstanding. Can be used to urge a conversation on. Originated from the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .

Monday, August 4, 2008

Stranded at the drive-in...

Ok, so we weren't really stranded, but I couldn't resist the images of John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John that phrase brings up.

I have always favored drive in movie theaters. My earliest movie memories both take place at the Drive in Movies... they were:

Photobucket

AND

Photobucket

I don't remember much about Indiana Jones, but I remember EVERY detail of Gremlins... I would've been around 8 years old... The Gremlins terrified me, but I LOVED Gizmo. I did pretty good with the movie until the very end when they said to make sure you looked under your bed for Gremlins, then I burst into tears.

This was the first weekend in a LONG time that we didn't have somewhere to be at the crack of dawn on one or both mornings... No early morning swim meets, no plans to go boating, my store was staffed and running smoothly... Perfect weekend for a trip to the drive in! We usually go 3-4 times in the Summer, but this has been a busy summer, and I couldn't believe it was August already and we hadn't gone once!

So we packed up Brent's truck with lawnchairs, pillows, blankets, and a cooler and we set off. Our favorite drive in is Vali-Hi drive in. The price is right - a triple feature for $7.50, and kids 12 and under are FREE. They let you bring in BBQ grills and your own food, and have a decent concessions stand. We always arrive soon after the box office opens so that we get a decent spot, it fills up FAST! The kids love running around before the movie, and there's something relaxing about sitting on a lawnchair in the back of your truck on a warm summer's night while the kids toss a frisbee over on the grass.

The lineup for this weekend was The Dark Knight, Hancock, and Get Smart. We'd already seen The Dark Knight, but didn't mind seeing it again. We were looking forward to seeing Hancock, but everyone but Brent fell asleep during The Dark Knight, so we didn't end up staying. The theater is about 50 minutes away, so we wouldn't have gotten home until around 3 AM if we stayed, so we decided to just wait for video on that one.

Here's some pics from our evening, I took them with Brent's new iPhone, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of pics... not bad for a camera phone!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jean said...

Looks and sounds like a blast! My earliest Drive in memory is of ET, sometime around my 10th birthday I think. Funny timing you have too - there was an article in the paper today about a drive in that is about 45 mins from us, that had me intrigued.