Definition:

1. flippin' sweet

utterly awesome, cool, outstanding. Can be used to urge a conversation on. Originated from the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Go William! Or maybe not...

If I could choose one word to describe myself today, I'd have to choose the word oblivious.

1 : lacking remembrance, memory, or mindful attention
2
: lacking active conscious knowledge or awareness —usually used with of or to

That pretty much sums it up!

William had his first "away" swim meet today, and he did GREAT! Before I go into how absolutely AMAZING he did, I have to tell you a funny little story.

It's the first event of the day. The 200 Medly Relay, which is where each swimmer swims 50 yards of a different stroke. William was on the program as swimming the first leg of this relay, which would mean he was to be swimming backstroke. I missed the swimmers entering the water amidst my own personal chaos - juggling a camera, camcorder, and throwing cheerios at Caden, who I had tied down secured safely into his stroller right next to me. The race starts and here is idiot me yelling and cheering for William, completely oblivious to the fact that everyone else is cheering for someone else.

The first leg of the relay ends and I'm yelling "Good Job William, etc." while throwing more cheerios at Caden and juggling my program and telling Madison to sit down for the 8th time in 2 minutes. My friend Dawn behind me says "Wasn't that Henry?". I look at her in a puzzled sort of way and say, "no, that was William". We proceed to have a short conversation about this, her saying she could've sworn it was Henry, and my nodding and saying, nope, it was William.

I glance up at the blocks, the relay is coming to an end and the last swimmer is getting ready to dive in. Hmmmm.... that last swimmer looks an awful lot like William. Crap.

Out comes the camcorder. Again. I cheer William on. Again. He does a GREAT job. Again. Ok, not really. Henry did a great job the first time.

A little later I'm cheering on other SeaDevils and based on the name on the cap, I AGAIN made the mistake of cheering a boy on by first name. I hear someone else cheer the same kid on using a different name. I'm like, ok... NOT AGAIN - and consult my trusty program. The last name on that swim cap is a last name that I KNOW... but apparently they borrowed the swim cap from a friend, cause that's not the kid swimming. Double Duh.

So, what I learned today is that it is much safer to keep my cheering extremely generic unless I hear someone else using the name first. I spent the remainder of the meet whooping and hollering non specific words of encouragement, and I'll probably do that for awhile. All the kids look the same when they're wearing those darn yellow caps.

Ok, that's enough of my antics, let's get to William. He did great, I can not even describe how proud I am of this boy! This was his second swim meet, and he dropped SO much time!

He swam 3 individual events: 50 Free, 50 Back and 100 Breast. He dropped several seconds on each event. I think he has a real chance of getting some C-Final times this season! Good job, kiddo!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

It's funny, but, I just heard you cheering for William, so I cheered for him too. I remember really looking down across the pool and thinking: "Hmmm, that really looks a lot like Henry..."

But I just kept cheering for him, too!

Leah said...

LOL, how funny. WTG William!

Imcombobulated said...

That's hilarios JoAnna! Oops... I mean, Angela!!! (LOL!)

Jean said...

Hehe, sounds like something I would do. Great job William!